Tuesday 4 June 2013

Pronouns and its kinds



Pronouns are used in place of a noun or nouns. 


These are of three kinds. 

·         The person who speaks (I, My, Me, Mine, We, Us, Ours, Our)
·         The person whom you are talking to (You, Your, Yours)
·         The person who is being talked about (He, She, Him, His, Her, Hers, It, Their, Theirs, They)

Examples:

·         They should go at his place.
·         Do you want me to come with you?
·         What is her name?

In the first sentence, two pronouns ‘they’ and ‘his’ are used
In the second one, ‘you’ and ‘me’ are used.
In the third one, ‘her’ is used. 

There are three cases under personal pronouns:

Subjective Case

The subjective pronoun is the subject of the sentence. It does the actions. They are she, he, it, you, I, it, we
·         We went to Crafts Museum in Delhi.

·         He and I love donuts. 

Objective Case

The objective pronoun is the object of the sentence. It receives the action of verbs. They are her, him, it, me, them, us and you. 

·         I asked them to join us for dinner.
·         Do take me along with you. 

In the first example, ‘I’ is  the subjective pronoun and ‘us’ is the objective pronoun.
In the second example, ‘me’ and ‘you’ are objective pronouns. 

Possessive Case

Possessive pronouns tell us who owns something. They are his, hers, mine, yours, theirs, ours.
·         Is the book yours?

·         Yes they are mine.

 
Demonstrative pronouns help identify nouns that are near or far with regard to distance and time. They are these, those, that, this. It takes place of nouns.

‘These’ is used to indicate things or ideas which are more than one. It is used when the things are near to you.

‘Those’ is used to indicate things or ideas which are more than one but are far from the speaker.
‘This’ is used to indicate a single thing or idea that is near to you.
‘That’ is also used to indicate a single thing or idea but is from the speaker.

·         These are my books.
·         I want that one.
·         I want those days to come back!
·         This is my personal gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment