Saturday 20 April 2013

Adverbs of Frequency



Adverbs of frequency tell us how often something happens. Following is a list of commonly used adverbs:
  • Always
  • Never
  • Normally
  • Frequently
  • Usually
  • Often
  • Rarely
  • Seldom
  • Sometimes
  • Occasionally
  • Regularly
  • Generally
  • A lot
We usually put the adverbs in the middle of the sentence, between the verb and the subject:
  • We never drive on highways.
  • They generally get up late on weekends.
  • I rarely drink carbonated drinks.
We can put some adverbs at the end or beginning of the sentences to make it stronger:
  • We don’t go out often.
  • Often we don’t go out.
We use adverb ‘a lot’ at the end of the sentence to mean frequently.
  • We love going to theatre a lot.
  • We go for shopping a lot at the weekend.
There are expressions like ‘every now and again/then’, ‘once in a while’ and ‘from time to time’ which we can use to say ‘how often’ we do something. Note that these adverb can be used only in the beginning or at the end of the sentences. 
  • I go to the parlour once in a while.
  • Every now and again/then I go for grocery shopping.
  • From time to time I call up my daughter.
  • Sometimes I do take my kids to the museums.
 We use ‘how often’ and ‘ever’ in questions. We use ‘how often’ at the beginning of the question and ‘ever’ before the verb.
  • How often do you exercise?
  • How often have you been to Mumbai?
  • Do you ever cook at home on weekends?
  • Have you ever been to north-east?

In order to say ‘how often’ something happens, you add ‘several’ or ‘many’ followed by times and time period. If want to specify the number of times then you add the number (once if it is one or twice if it two times) followed by ‘a’ and time period.
  • I go Jaipur many times a year.
  • I visit my dad once a month.
  • I visit temple several times a year.
  • I do yoga twice a week.
We use ‘every’ in the following way:
·         I travel to Chennai every month.
·         I eat non-vegetarian every Wednesday. 
We can use ‘s’ at the end of the day to mean ‘every Tuesday’. For example:
  • I drink on Saturdays.
  • I cook on Sundays.
Consider other adverbs in the sentences to understand their usage.
  • He visits his parents quite frequently. (frequently means often)
  • Normally, we are not out till late at night.
  • Now that I have a job, I seldom get a chance to exercise. (seldom means almost never)
  • It’s important to do yoga regularly. Otherwise it makes no sense. (regularly means often)
  • He always forgets the way to my home.
  • Occasionally, I see her travelling in metro. (occasionally means sometimes and not often)
  • She usually wears jeans to the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment